What do you need to do?
- If music is distorted, people often turn up the volume control with no noticeable improvement of quality
- Well-maintained sound equipment can play music at a lower volume with no loss of quality
Ways to reduce noise volume include:
- Noise limiters: these prevent the volume of music from exceeding a predetermined level. One type controls the volume in tiny steps and is almost undetectable. Another type switches off the power to the music system if a specific volume is exceeded, but requires strict management control to avoid an abrupt cut-off. Noise limiters should be tamper-proof or located in secure areas.
- Equipment quality: Use equipment that does not distort the sound - this allows you to set volume levels lower but still achieve the desired effect
- Maintenance: Check the sound equipment regularly to make sure it is not distorting the sound and it is configured correctly.
- Designated staff: make it clear who can operate the controls.
You'll find more detailed information in:
Back to 'What do you need to do?'