What do you need to do?
Layout and positioning
- Consider the positioning of people and equipment to help reduce individual exposure to noise.
Here are some things you can do to increase separation between performers/instruments:
- List the instruments and other sources of sound and think about the noise footprint each will create.
- When calculating how many people can be accommodated in a studio, aim for two square metres of floor space per musician
- Position and shield drum kits in a way that minimises noise spill
- Particular noisy instruments could be positioned and mic’d in a separate area from the main performance
- You will find more about arranging an orchestra layout in Concert Halls and Theatres
- You may find the Case Study and its illustrations helpful
- Provide risers
- You may find guidance on Amplified Live Music helpful
You'll find more detailed information in:
Back to 'What do you need to do?'